Operator -Shaping/Turning Cell D
PRIMARY FUNCTION – Operates Gear Shaper, Hydraulic Keyseaters, CNC Live Spindle Vertical Turning Center, Internal Gashing Machine, and Surface Grinder, performing all machining operations possible on these machine tools. Performs simple subassembly tasks.
FACILITIES – Gear Shaper, CNC Hydraulic Keyseater, CNC Vertical Turning Center with Live Spindle, Internal Gasher, & Surface Grinder. Sets up and operates above listed machines using locating & hold down devices, fixtures cutter bars, variety of cutter bodies, live spindle & regular tools, arbors, clamps, straps, parallels, tool changer, change gears precision gauges and measuring instruments, machinist hand tools, desk top personal computer, and jib or floor operated overhead crane or hoist. (includes F0226)
MATERIALS – Gears, hubs, spiders, wheels, carriers, tumblers, etc, of cast iron, rolled, cast, or forged, plain and alloy steal, non-ferrous and non-metallic materials, cutting oil, lubricating oil, and coolant.
WORKING PROCEDURE –
- Reviews Schedule on cell PC and determines next jobs to run and sequence. Secures drawing and program package including programming master, setup instructions, tooling list, etc.
- Determines sequence of operations, presets tools, loads them in tool changer, spindle head, as specified, edits program manually as required.
- Selects, loads parts in the machines, hitching and positioning safely with the aid of a Jib crane or floor operated overhead crane.
- Expected to be alert for excess stock and other part issues while setting up, makes adjustments as needed and notifies Group Leader about conditions.
- Performs close tolerance machining operations such as turning, drilling, tapping, reaming, boring, counter boring, spot facing, milling, shaping, (Internal and External) Gashing, surface grinding etc.
- Manually deburrs and inspects work pieces to print tolerances using, machine probe, manual inspection tools and gauges.
- Stamps parts and fills out documentation as required.
- Gear Shaper: Operates a gear shaper, places work piece on machine manually or with the aid of the overhead crane.
- Indicates piece with dial indicator, sets machine using set up sheets in system and selecting and changing gears.
- Surface grinds cutters to sharpen or replaces when necessary. Obtains and secures appropriate abrasive wheel, mounts cutter in appropriate fixture or holding device, sets up and operates surface grinder occasionally.
- CNC Hydraulic Keyseater: Operates CNC hydraulic keyseater, determines spline locations, calculates spacing, type of set up, fixtures and attachments, sets stroke, cutting feed and speed, depth, number of teeth, flow of coolant, and enters all data into CNC control.
- Performs very close tolerance machining operations, such as shaping teeth and cutting splines, etc., on parts such as gears, wheels, carriers, ring gears, hubs etc.
- Checks dimensions with gauges and precision measuring tools and adjusts machine as needed to machine within engineering tolerances.
- Removes work piece from machine, deburrs part, cleans out chips and cutting oil.
- Internal Gashing Machine: Operates internal gashing machine, places part on machine manually with a Jib crane or overhead crane. Indicates part, sets machine by selecting and changing gears, sets stroke, selects and mounts cutters, (monitors and changes inserts when necessary).
- Removes chips as necessary and adjusts machine as needed.
- Removes work piece from machine, deburrs and inspects part as required.
- CNC Live Spindle Vertical Turning Center: Operates CNC vertical turning center, presets and loads tools in changer locations as specified in program, places work piece on machine table manually or hitches properly and loads with a Jib crane or floor operated overhead crane, selects proper chucking jaws or fixture, aligns and indicates work piece on table.
- Operates machine under keyboard control either CNC or manually when necessary. Uses Probe to inspect, gather data, and analyze data, then acts on results.
- Determines tool set length, qualifies size, location and depth, and adjust parts reference. When mistake is found in tape, corrects tape, and notifies programming department to correct master program.
- Observes machining operations closely, detects warning lights, on control console, indicating trouble in tape handling or errors in machine, command, sequence, or mechanical/ electrical malfunction.
- Cell team members perform all functions within the cell to ensure optimum flow of material for the large turning and shaping cell (LTSC) to meet schedules and goals, in process scheduling, inspection of parts, and documentation of same, minor assembly requirements, processing paperwork, and material movement of parts going through and in and out of cell.
- Must effectively interact with other cell team members and other related departments, to insure that cell schedules and goals are achieved.
- Lubricates and changes filters on machines, performs minor PM’s and assists with cleaning and repair of machines in cell as required.
- Maintains a safe, clean and orderly work area including equipment; performs assignments in a safe manner in accordance with established procedures.