Flux Core Finish Welder - 3rd
PRIMARY FUNCTION – Performs manual and mechanized welding using various weld processes on various size weldments.
FACILITIES - SMAW, GMAW, FCAW, GTAW manual and mechanized welding equipment, all types of PPE, electronic and open flame preheating equipment, oxy-fuel cutting torch, air arcing equipment, weld positioner, fixtures, ladders, man lifts, telescopic boom lifts, scaffolds, fall protection, manned and remote overhead material handling equipment, jib hoists, gantry and wall cranes, portable electric and pneumatic power tools, hand tools, computer screens, gauges and other electronic interactive display equipment. Various types of material handling equipment including forktruck.
Operator must meet welder certification requirements as defined in P&H MOP5.14
MATERIALS – Carbon and alloy steels, all size and types of welding consumables, oxygen, natural gas, compressed air, various types of shielding gases, and ceramic backing material.
- Receives work assignment, reviews work instructions, routings and MOP’s, secures and examines drawings to determine welding requirements such as weld location and size, post weld finishing operations, preheat and interpass requirements and type of welding consumables needed.
- Initiates, through supervision, the correction of errors by Engineering and Processing.
- Applies all required PPE as required for the work at hand.
- Positions weldment using material handling equipment, including all necessary hitching operations.
- Repositions weldment as required to complete all welding operations.
- Sets up any required fall protection equipment, scaffolding, and man lift systems.
- Sets up preheating equipment and applies and maintains the correct preheat temperature to the area to be welded
- Selects correct welding parameters for the weld process being used based on electrode type, shielding gas, material thickness, weld joint type and position.
- Positions welding equipment including wire feeder and boom cart.
- Installs and removes run off tabs and additional bracing as required.
- Performs production welding including single and multiple pass fillet and groove welds in all positions, works in confined space while in awkward body positions, welds with one of both hands at extended reach in areas they cannot completely access.
- Welds, cleans and inspects for proper size, appearance, and quality, makes any repairs to their work, and cleans surrounding area, and stamps welds. In addition, also performs air carbon arc gouging and post weld finishing operations as required.
- Maintains a clean and orderly work area, conducts maintenance on equipment, and performs all assignments in a safe manner and in accordance with established procedures.